Facebook’s founding is legend: In a Harvard dorm, wunderkind Mark Zuckerberg invented a new way to connect with friends…and the rest is history. But for the people who actually molded this great idea into a game-changing $300 billion company, the experience was far more tumultuous and uncertain than we might expect.
Mike Hoefflinger was one of those Facebook insiders. As a computer engineer turned marketing innovator who worked with COO Sheryl Sandberg, Hoefflinger had a front-row seat to the company’s growing pains, stumbles, and reinventions.
Becoming Facebook tells the coming-of-age story of the now venerable giant. Filled with insights and anecdotes from crises averted and challenges solved, the book tracks the company’s development, uncovering lessons learned on its way to greatness:
- How Facebook recovered from its “disastrous” IPO
- How the growth team achieved the impossible
- Why Facebook’s News Feed ads were the company’s most important business decision ever
- How Google+ attacked and lost
- Why—and how—Instagram and WhatsApp were added to the mix
- What the company does to win the talent wars
- What makes Zuckerberg, Sandberg, Cox, and other A-teamers tick
- Which products and technical advancements are on the horizon and why
- And much more
Intimate, fast-paced, and deeply informative, Becoming Facebook shares the true story of how Zuckerberg joined the ranks of iconic CEOs like Steve Jobs, Larry Page, and Jeff Bezos—as Facebook grows up, overcomes setbacks, and works to connect the world.
Table of contents
- Half title
- Part 1 Setting the Scene
Part 2 10 Challenges on the Road from Also-Ran to Juggernaut
- 3: How Facebook Turned Down $1 Billion
- 4: How Facebook Became Your Lens on the World
- 5: How Facebook Grows . . . and Grows
- 6: How Facebook Built a $10 Billion Business in Three Years
- 7: How Facebook Goes Fast
- 8: How Facebook Beat Google
- 9: How Facebook Became More Than Facebook
- 10: How Facebook Plays the Long Game
- 11: How Facebook Wins the Talent Wars
- 12: How Facebook Became the Biggest of the Big
Part 3 The Future
- 13: Messaging Becomes the Medium: Two more giant apps and an artificial intelligence based on trillions of pieces of data.
- 14: Connecting the Next Billion People: The most questionable business decision for the best reasons.
- 15: “Transporting” a Billion of Us with VR and AR: Building the last screen.
- 16: What If Facebook “Wins”? Reknitting the Pangea of the mind.
- Part 4 Parting Thoughts
- About the Author
- Free Sample Chapter from Extreme Teams
- Other Best-Sellers from Amacom
- Title: Becoming Facebook
- Release date: April 2017
- Publisher(s): AMACOM
- ISBN: 9780814437971
You might also like
Building Microservices, 2nd Edition
Distributed systems have become more fine-grained as organizations shift from code-heavy monolithic applications to smaller, self-contained …
The Manager's Path
Managing people is difficult wherever you work. But in the tech industry, where management is also …
Kafka: The Definitive Guide, 2nd Edition
Every enterprise application creates data, whether it consists of log messages, metrics, user activity, outgoing messages, …
Fluent Python, 2nd Edition
Python’s simplicity lets you become productive quickly, but often this means you aren’t using everything it …