What does it mean in practice to be a values-based leader? When faced with real situations, how can you be your best self and create best teams—while also being a best partner with customers and vendors, a best investment for your stakeholders, and a best citizen making a difference in the world? It's a tall order, but these are the expectations for world-class organizations today.
In his bestselling book From Values to Action, Harry Kraemer showed how self-reflection, balance, true self-confidence, and genuine humility are the traits of today's most effective leaders. In Becoming the Best, his highly anticipated follow-up, Kraemer reveals how, in practical terms, anyone can apply these principles to become a values-based leader and to help create values-based organizations.
Drawing on his own experiences as the former CEO and chairman of Baxter International, as well as those of other notable leaders and organizations, Kraemer lays out a pathway for understanding the principles and putting them into practice, showing specifically, how to:
- Use self-reflection to become your "best self" as you lead yourself and others more effectively
- Create a "best team" that understands and appreciates what they're doing, and why
- Forge "best partnerships" through win/win collaboration with vendors and customers that enhance the end user's experience Support the mission, vision, and values of the organization to generate returns that distinguish a "best investment"
- Make a difference in the world beyond the organization by becoming a "best citizen"
Powerful case studies from Campbell's Soup, Ernst & Young, Target, Northern Trust, and many others demonstrate the four principles of values-based leadership in action and show how thinking beyond the corporation can trigger positive outcomes for both the company and the world.
Regardless of level or job title, individuals can make a difference in their organization and beyond by embodying the essential traits of a great leader. Becoming the Best offers a definitive, actionable guide to show anyone how to apply in practice the principles of values-based leadership personally and professionally, making it an indispensable manual for the new wave of better leaders.
Table of contents
- Praise for Becoming the Best
- Title Page
- Introduction: From Four Principles to Five Bests
Section One: Best Self
Chapter 1: The Self-Reflective, Balanced Leader
- The Importance of Self-Reflection
- Self-Reflection and the Business Orientation of Leadership
- Eliminating Worry, Fear, Anxiety, Pressure, and Stress
- Centering Your Best Self
- Best Self in the Real World
- Leading Up
- Pause for Reflection
- Balance and Perspective
- A Balanced Individual
- Self-Reflection and Balance—Complementary Tools in the Leadership Toolbox
- Your Best Self, Every Day
Chapter 2: The Humble, Self-Confident Leader
- True Self-Confidence: What I Know and What I Don't Know
- True and False Self-Confidence
- The Two-Question Test
- Admitting When You're Wrong
- True Self-Confidence and Leadership
- Genuine Humility
- The Genuinely Humble Leader
- How Did You Get to Where You Are?
- Can You Really Be Truly Self-Confident and Genuinely Humble in the Real World?
- Chapter 1: The Self-Reflective, Balanced Leader
Section Two: Best Team
- Chapter 3: Turning Around a Team
- Chapter 4: Creating a Best Team From Scratch
Section Three: Best Partner
- Chapter 5: Suppliers as Best Partners: A Holistic Relationship
- Chapter 6: Building Best-Partner Customer Relationships
Section Four: Best Investment
- Chapter 7: Making a Best Investment in Talent
- Chapter 8: The Proof Point: Shareholder Value
Section Five: Best Citizen
- Chapter 9: Values in Action
- Chapter 10: Living the Legacy and Leaving a Global Footprint
- About the Author
- End User License Agreement
- Title: Becoming the Best
- Release date: March 2015
- Publisher(s): Jossey-Bass
- ISBN: 9781118999424
You might also like
Welcome to Management
“The ultimate all-in-one guide to becoming a great leader.” —Daniel Pink From the creator and host …
Never Go with Your Gut
Avoid terrible advice, cognitive biases, and poor decisions. Want to avoid business disasters, whether minor mishaps, …
The Remote Facilitator's Pocket Guide
This approach to remote facilitation makes virtual meetings powerful means of collaboration using proven techniques to …
AWS Certified Solutions Architect Official Study Guide
Validate your AWS skills. This is your opportunity to take the next step in your career …