C H A P T E R 2
Understanding Relational Databases
Now that you have gotten to know the tools you’ll use in this book, I’ll step back a bit and briefly introduce the important fundamental concepts of the database world.
In this chapter, I’ll cover the following:
- What is a database?
- Choosing between a spreadsheet and a database
- Why use a database?
- Benefits of using a relational database management system
- Comparing desktop and server RDBMS systems
- The database life cycle
- Mapping cardinalities
- Understanding keys
- Understanding data integrity
- Normalization concepts
- Drawbacks of normalization
What Is a Database?
In very simple terms, a database is a collection of structured information. Databases are designed specifically to manage large bodies ...