Beginning Database Design: From Novice to Professional provides short, easy-to-read explanations of how to get database design right the first time. This book offers numerous examples to help you avoid the many pitfalls that entrap new and not-so-new database designers. Through the help of use cases and class diagrams modeled in the UML, youll learn how to discover and represent the details and scope of the problem in question.
Database design is not an exact science, and solid database design principles and examples help demonstrate the consequences of simplifications and pragmatic decisions. The rationale is to try to keep it simple, but allow room for development as situations change or resources permit. The book also features an introduction for implementing the final design in a relational database.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Contents at a Glance
- About the Author
- About the Technical Reviewer
- CHAPTER 1: What Can Go Wrong
- CHAPTER 2: Guided Tour of the Development Process
CHAPTER 3: Initial Requirements and Use Cases
- Real and Abstract Views of a Problem
- What Does the User Do?
- What Data Is Involved?
- What Is the Objective of the System?
- What Data Is Required to Satisfy the Objective?
- What Are the Input Use Cases?
- What Is the First Data Model?
- What Are the Output Use Cases?
- More About Use Cases
- Finding Out More About the Problem
- What Have We Postponed?
- CHAPTER 4: Learning from the Data Model
- CHAPTER 5: Developing a Data Model
- CHAPTER 6: Generalization and Specialization
- CHAPTER 7: From Data Model to Relational Schema
- CHAPTER 8: Normalization
- CHAPTER 9: More on Keys and Constraints
- CHAPTER 10: Queries
- CHAPTER 11: User Interface
- CHAPTER 12: Other Implementations
- Title: Beginning Database Design
- Release date: January 2007
- Publisher(s): Apress
- ISBN: 9781590597699
You might also like
Relational Database Design and Implementation, 4th Edition
Relational Database Design and Implementation: Clearly Explained, Fourth Edition, provides the conceptual and practical information necessary …
Relational Database Design and Implementation, 3rd Edition
Fully revised, updated, and expanded, Relational Database Design and Implementation, Third Edition is the most lucid …
Database Design: Know It All
This book brings all of the elements of database design together in a single volume, saving …
Database Systems: Concepts, Design and Applications, 2nd Edition
The second edition of this bestselling title is a perfect blend of theoretical knowledge and practical …