The team that brought you the bestselling Beginning iPhone 4 Development is back again for Beginning iOS 5 Development, bringing this definitive guide up-to-date with Apple's latest and greatest iOS SDK, as well as with the latest version of Xcode.
There's coverage of brand new technologies, with chapters on storyboards and iCloud, for example, as well as significant updates to existing chapters to bring them in line with all the changes that came with the iOS 5 SDK. You'll have everything you need to create your very own apps for the latest iOS devices, including the iPhone 4S, iPad 2, and the latest iPod touch. Every single sample program in the book has been rebuilt from scratch using Xcode 4.2 and the latest iOS 5-specific project templates and designed to take advantage of the latest Xcode features.
Assuming only a minimal working knowledge of Objective-C, and written in a friendly, easy-to-follow style, Beginning iOS 5 Development offers a complete soup-to-nuts course in iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch programming. The book starts with the basics, walking through the process of downloading and installing Xcode and the iOS 5 SDK, and then guides you though the creation of your first simple application.
From there, you'll learn how to integrate all the interface elements Apple touch users have come to know and love, such as buttons, switches, pickers, toolbars, and sliders. You'll master a variety of design patterns, from the simplest single view to complex hierarchical drill-downs. The confusing art of table building will be demystified, and you'll learn how to save your data using the iPhone file system. You'll also learn how to save and retrieve your data using a variety of persistence techniques, including Core Data and SQLite. And there's much more! You'll learn to draw using Quartz 2D and OpenGL ES, add multitouch gestural support (pinches and swipes) to your applications, and work with the camera, photo library, accelerometer, and built-in GPS. You'll discover the fine points of application preferences and learn how to localize your apps for multiple languages.
The iOS 5 update to the bestselling and most recommended book for Cocoa touch developers
Packed full of tricks, techniques, and enthusiasm for the new SDK from a developer perspective
Written in an accessible, easy-to-follow style
What you'll learn
Everything you need to know to develop your own bestselling iPhone and iPad apps
Best practices for optimizing your code and delivering great user experiences
How to create "universal" apps for both the iPhone and iPad
What is data persistence and why is it important
Get started with building cool, crisp User Interfaces
What and how to use Table Views
How to do graphics with Quartz and OpenGL ES
What geo app development features the new iOS 5 brings to the iPhone 4S
How to get your app in iCloud
And much much more...
Who this book is for
Everyone who wants to start developing for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad!
Table of Contents
- Contents at a Glance
- About the Authors
- About the Technical Reviewer
- Chapter 1: Welcome to the Jungle
- Chapter 2: Appeasing the Tiki Gods
- Chapter 3: Handling Basic Interaction
Chapter 4: More User Interface Fun
- A Screen Full of Controls
- Active, Static, and Passive Controls
- Creating the Application
- Implementing the Image View and Text Fields
- Closing the Keyboard
- Implementing the Switches, Button, and Segmented Control
- Implementing the Segmented Control Action
- Implementing the Action Sheet and Alert
- Spiffing Up the Button
- Crossing the Finish Line
- Chapter 5: Autorotation and Autosizing
- Chapter 6: Multiview Applications
- Chapter 7: Tab Bars and Pickers
- Chapter 8: Introduction to Table Views
- Chapter 9: Navigation Controllers and Table Views
- Chapter 10: Storyboards
- Chapter 11: iPad Considerations
- Chapter 12: Application Settings and User Defaults
- Chapter 13: Basic Data Persistence
- Chapter 14: Hey! You! Get onto iCloud!
- Chapter 15: Grand Central Dispatch, Background Processing, and You
- Chapter 16: Drawing with Quartz and OpenGL
- Chapter 17: Taps, Touches, and Gestures
- Chapter 18: Where Am I? Finding Your Way with Core Location
- Chapter 19: Whee! Gyro and Accelerometer!
- Chapter 20: The Camera and Photo Library
- Chapter 21: Application Localization
- Chapter 22: Where to Next?
- Title: Beginning iOS 5 Development: Exploring the iOS SDK
- Release date: December 2011
- Publisher(s): Apress
- ISBN: 9781430236054