Game apps on iPhone and now The New iPad remain one of the most popular type of apps in the Apple iTunes App Store. Does Angry Birds ring a bell? Now, you can learn to build game apps for the iPhone 5 and The New iPad using the new iOS 6 SDK.
Beginning iOS 6 Games Development provides a clear path for you to learn and create iPhone and iPad game apps using the iOS 6 SDK platform. You'll learn how to use the core classes to create rich and dynamic games apps, including graphics, animations, and sound. The latest version of Xcode 4.5 will be used in parts of the book to guide you along the way of building your iPhone or iPad game apps.
Other topics include iOS 6 game apps development with the newest iOS Game Center update, persisting user data, and designing a compelling user experience. After reading this book, you'll come away with the skills and techniques for building a game app, top to bottom, that could perhaps even be sold on the Apple iTunes App Store.
*** NOTE: This book is an update of Beginning iOS 5 Games Development (ISBN-13: 978-1430237105) and Beginning iPhone Games Development (ISBN-10: 1430225998).
What you'll learn
What to learn and how to build iPhone and iPad game apps using iOS 6 SDK
How to use UIViews to display game assets
How to leverage Core Animation to simplify animations
How to create frame-by-frame animations for action games
How to play sound using media classes
How to integrate with Game Center and other social media services
How to use Core Data to persist game state
Who this book is for
This book is for new iPhone and iPad app developers who want to create game apps, using the iOS SDK. A basic understanding of Xcode and Objective-C is assumed.
Table of contents
- Contents at a Glance
- About the Author
- About the Technical Reviewer
- Chapter 1: A Simple First Game
- Chapter 2: Setting up Your Game Project
- Chapter 3: Explore the Game Application Life Cycle
- Chapter 4: Quickly Build an Input-Driven Game
- Chapter 5: Quickly Build a Frame-by-Frame Game
- Chapter 6: Create Your Characters: Game Engine, Image Actors, and Behaviors
- Chapter 7: Build Your Game: Vector Actors and Particles
- Chapter 8: Building Your Game: Understanding Gestures and Movements
- Chapter 9: Game Center and Social Media
- Chapter 10: Monetizing via the Apple App Store
- Chapter 11: Add Sound to Your Game
- Chapter 12: A Completed Game: Belt Commander
- Chapter 13: Physics!
- Appendix A: Designing and Creating Graphics
- Title: Beginning iOS 6 Games Development
- Release date: November 2012
- Publisher(s): Apress
- ISBN: 9781430244226
You might also like
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …
Architecting for Scale, 2nd Edition
Every day, companies struggle to scale critical applications. As traffic volume and data demands increase, these …
Go is rapidly becoming the preferred language for building web services. There are plenty of tutorials …
Good software design is simple and easy to understand. Unfortunately, the average computer program today is …