In this chapter, you will learn
- What threads are
- How to create threads in Java
- How to execute your code in separate threads
- What the Java Memory Model is
- The life cycle of threads
- How to use object monitors to synchronize access to a critical section by threads
- How to interrupt, stop, suspend, and resume threads
- Atomic variables, explicit locks, synchronizer, executor framework, fork/join framework, and thread-local variables
What Is a Thread?
Threads are a vast topic. They deserve an entire book. This chapter does not discuss the concept of threads in detail. Rather, it discusses how to work with threads using Java constructs. ...