In this chapter, you will learn
- What garbage collection is
- How garbage collection is implemented in Java
- How to pass a hint to the JVM to run the garbage collector
- How to implement the finalizers
- Different states of an object based on its reachability and finalization status
- The difference between strong and weak references
- How to use weak references to implement memory-sensitive cache
What Is Garbage Collection?
In a programming language, memory management is central to the development of a fast, efficient, and bug-free application. Memory management involves two activities:
- Memory allocation
- Memory reclamation ...