Time for action — making the shaft of the oar
Starting the oar is pretty easy. In Chapter 4, Modeling with Vertices, Edges, and Faces you looked at the basic shapes Blender has available, that's where you will begin:
- Open Blender.
- Press X to delete the default cube.
- Press Shift+A and select cylinder from the pop-up menu.
- In the Tool Shelf, set Add Cylinder for 12 Vertices, 0.083 Radius, and 4.2 Depth. This will make the oar handle and shaft as seen in the following screenshot. You can use the Tab key to jump between the Vertices, Radius, and Depth buttons.
- Now you have the handle to the right length.
- Press the Tab key to get into Edit Mode.
- Press Numpad ...