Time for action — controlling flat and smooth surfaces
By default the surfaces are flat. But you want the rounded surfaces to be smooth. Selecting the faces is the main task. Making them smooth once you have them selected is easy:
- Press Numpad 1 and adjust the 3D View window so you see the grip and the guard.
- Select the Oar and get into Edit Mode.
- Choose Face Select mode from the 3D View header.
- Press B and use Border Select to choose the faces of the grip as seen in the left of the following screenshot. Do not select the end of the grip.
- Next use Border Select to select the faces on the perimeter of the grip guard, as shown in the center of the next screenshot. Do not select the faces of the sides.
- Now select the faces of the oar shaft, the top perimeter ...