Time for action — making the hub
Making the hub is easy. It's a cylinder:
- Press Numpad 7 to get the Top view.
- Press the Tab key to get into Object Mode.
- Press A to deselect all objects.
- Press Shift+A and create a cylinder from the Mesh menu.
- In the Add Cylinder subpanel in the lower half of Tool Shelf, set the number of Vertices to 18.
- Press S, 0.25, and then Enter.
- Press M, 2, and Enter to move the hub to Layer 2.
That was easy. You put the hub in Layer 2 so that it won't interfere with your work of making the spokes for the wheel. You will start by making a circle to control the placement of the spokes of the ship's wheel.