Time for action — making a surface for the water
Rather than creating a lot of vertices you will make your surface seem rougher by using a texture map to modify the normals of the face to control the appearance:
- Create a new file and delete the default cube.
- Press Shift+A and select Mesh and then Plane from the menus.
- Press S, Shift+Z, 800, and Enter. This scales the plane in both the X and Y axes.
- Press S, Z, 1.5, and Enter.
- In the Properties window, select the Material button from the header, it's the ninth button from the left with the chrome ball on it.
- Select the New button with theLMB.
- Name the material Sea Material.
- In the Diffuse subpanel, click on the white button and set the Diffuse color to R: 0.000, G: 0.0150, B: 0.035.
- In the Specular subpanel, ...