Over the past decade, data science has come out of the back office to become a force of change across the entire organization. At the forefront of this change is the open data science movement that advocates the use of open source tools in a powerful, connected ecosystem. This report explores how open data science can help your organization break free from the shackles of proprietary tools, embrace a more open and collaborative work style, and unleash new intelligent applications quickly.
Authors Michele Chambers and Christine Doig explain how open source tools have helped bring about many facets of the data science evolution, including collaboration, self-service, and deployment. But you’ll discover that open data science is about more than tools; it’s about a new way of working as an organization.
- Learn how data science—particularly open data science—has become part of everyday business
- Understand how open data science engages people from other disciplines, not just statisticians
- Examine tools and practices that enable data science to be open across technical, operational, and organizational aspects
- Learn benefits of open data science, including rich resources, agility, transparency, and collective intelligence
- Explore case studies that demonstrate different ways to implement open data science
- Discover how open data science can help you break down department barriers and make bold market moves
Michele Chambers, Chief Marketing Officer and VP Products at Continuum Analytics, is an entrepreneurial executive with over 25 years of industry experience. Prior to Continuum Analytics, Michele held executive leadership roles at several database and analytic companies, including Netezza, IBM, Revolution Analytics, MemSQL, and RapidMiner.
Christine Doig is a senior data scientist at Continuum Analytics, where she's worked on several projects, including MEMEX, a DARPA-funded open data science project to help stop human trafficking. She has 5+ years of experience in analytics, operations research, and machine learning in a variety of industries.
Table of contents
- 1. How Data Science Entered Everyday Business
- 2. Modern Data Science Teams
- 3. Data Science for All
- 4. Open Data Science Applications: Case Studies
- 5. Data Science Executive Sponsorship
- 6. The Journey to Open Data Science
7. The Open Data Science Landscape
- What the Open Data Science Community Can Do for You
- The Power of Open Data Science Languages
- Established Open Data Science Technologies
- Emerging Open Data Science Technologies: Encapsulation with Docker and conda
- Open Source on the Rise
- 8. Data Science in the Enterprise
- 9. Data Science Collaboration
- 10. Self-Service Data Science
- 11. Data Science Deployment
- 12. The Data Science Lifecycle
- Title: Breaking Data Science Open
- Release date: May 2017
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491973011
You might also like
Python for Finance, 2nd Edition
The financial industry has recently adopted Python at a tremendous rate, with some of the largest …
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …
Strata Data Conference 2019 - San Francisco, California
Thousands of the data scientists, analysts, engineers, developers, and executives converged at the Strata Data Conference …
The Self-Service Data Roadmap
Data-driven insights are a key competitive advantage for any industry today, but deriving insights from raw …