Build yourself a state-of-the-art website.
It’s incredibly easy…and it won’t cost you a dime!
You need a website. But you don’t need the hassles that usually go with building one or the expense of hiring someone else to do it. Here’s your solution: Build a Website for Free! You’ll learn how you can use current technologies to create a site that’s
impressive and effective. And here’s the best part: You’ll do it all with software and tools that won’t cost you a dime!
Plan, organize, and design a site that really works, using tools you can find for free
Discover the simple secrets of writing pages people want to read
Use video on your site–and get someone else to pay for hosting it
Add an easy-to-update blog and start building your own web community
Quickly and easily handle “nuts and bolts” tasks, from getting your site name to uploading your content
Get your site picked up by Google, Yahoo!, and other search engines
Adapt your site for easy viewing on smart phones and tablets.
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Contents at a Glance
- Table of Contents
- About the Author
- We Want to Hear from You!
- Reader Services
Part I: The Basics
- Chapter 1. The Order of Things
- Chapter 2. Choosing a Location for Your Site
Part II: Plan and Prep
- Chapter 3. Planning Your Site
- Chapter 4. Designing Your Site
- Chapter 5. Gathering Your Tools
- Chapter 6. Moving Files to and from the Internet
Part III: Website Building Basics
- Chapter 7. Elements of a Website
- Chapter 8. Using Existing Websites
- Chapter 9. Web Page Services
- Chapter 10. HTML 101
- Chapter 11. HTML5
- Chapter 12. Working with Images
- Chapter 13. Working with Multimedia
- Chapter 14. Building a Site Using HTML
Part IV: Site Testing and Maintenance
- Chapter 16. How’d They Do That?
- Chapter 17. Making Your Site Work on Smartphones and Tablets
- Chapter 18. Testing Your Website
Part V: Website Workshop
- Chapter 19. Promoting Your Website
- Chapter 20. Maintaining Your Website
Chapter 21. Building a Blog Using WordPress
- What Is a Blog?
- Why Should I Blog?
- Blog Publishing
- What Is WordPress?
- Building a Blog Using WordPress.com
- Setting Up Your Own Blog with WordPress Software
- Before Installing Your Software
- Download and Install WordPress
- Customization of WordPress
- Personalization of WordPress
- A Simple Blogging Solution
- Keep an Eye on Things
- Chapter 22. Building a Business Site Using a Content Management System
- Chapter 23. Building a Multimedia Website
- Chapter 24. Building a Site Using a Wiki
Part VI: Appendixes
- Appendix A. List of the Most Common HTML Tags
- Appendix B. Free and Open-Source Software Sites
- Title: Build a Website for Free, Third Edition
- Release date: November 2012
- Publisher(s): Que
- ISBN: 9780133134940