Build event-driven architectures using Apache Kafka
About This Video
- Build an application with the Apache Kafka architecture.
- Use Apache Kafka and its API to learn to use its Producer and Consumer.
- How Kafka works under-the-hood: Kafka Internals
Today's applications are built using the microservice architecture. Having a lot of microservices that need to communicate with each other can be problematic as they quickly become tightly coupled. Apache Kafka allows us to create services that are loosely coupled and operate in an event-driven way.
We can build components that process events, apply business logic as events arrive, and publish those events further into the processing chain. You will learn how to use Apache Kafka to create applications that work in the publish-subscribe model.
We will delve into the Kafka architecture and its Producer and Consumer API. You will learn how replication and fault tolerance is achieved in Kafka.
What you will learn
- Learn about the Apache Kafka architecture.
- Build Kafka clusters with Apache.
- Send messages using the Kafka Producer API.
- Understand how partitioning data affects scalability and performance.
- Retrieve messages using the Consumer API.
- Learn how fault-tolerance is achieved by using data replication.
- Understanding the processing flow
Who should take this course
This video targets software engineers who have professional experience in Java and want to learn how to leverage the full power of Apache Kafka.
About the author
Tomasz Lelek is a Software Engineer, programming mostly in Java and Scala. He is a fan of microservice architectures and functional programming. He dedicates a lot of time and effort to being better every day. He has recently delved into Big Data technologies such as Apache Spark and Hadoop. He is passionate about nearly everything associated with software development; his belief is that we should always try to consider different solutions and approaches before solving a problem. Recently he was a speaker at conferences in Poland - Confitura and JDD (Java Developers Day) and also at Krakow Scala User Group. He also conducted a live coding session at Geecon Conference. He is a co-founder of www.initlearn.com, an e-learning platform built with the Java language.
He also writes articles about everything related to the Java world: http://www.baeldung.com/Private consultant and is a trainer in Bottega Solutions http://bottega.com.pl/trener-tomasz-lelek. He conducts workshops on Apache Kafka technology.
About Packt Video
Packt Video publishes friendly, practical video tutorials, packed with practical skills, concepts and guidance to help you succeed with new technologies and tasks. Packt Video’s series include Learn, Hands-On, Mastering, In 7 Days, Troubleshooting, and more. Our courses cover web and software development, security and ethical hacking, data science, and other key tech topics. We exist to make cutting-edge topics accessible for all.
Table of contents
Chapter 1 : Apache Kafka Architecture
- The Course Overview 00:02:24
- Building Applications in the Publish-Subscribe Architecture 00:02:37
- Topics and Partitions 00:04:40
- How Kafka Cluster is Built? - Brokers 00:02:56
- Setup of Kafka - Using Docker 00:02:07
- Chapter 2 : Producers and Consumers
Chapter 3 : Advanced Kafka - Understanding Internals
- Electing Partition Leaders - Kafka Controller Component 00:02:45
- Data Replication in Kafka 00:01:51
- Append-Only Distributed Log - Storing Events in Kafka 00:02:01
- Compaction Process 00:01:42
- Summary of Apache Kafka Course 00:00:52
- Title: Build scalable applications with Apache Kafka
- Release date: August 2017
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781788622462
You might also like
Microservices Patterns Video Edition
"A comprehensive overview of the challenges teams face when moving to microservices, with industry-tested solutions to …
51+ hours of video instruction. Overview The professional programmer’s Deitel® video guide to Python development with …
Amazon Web Services AWS LiveLessons 2nd Edition
More Than 17 Hours of Video Instruction More than 17 hours of video instruction on Amazon …
Apache Kafka Series - Kafka Connect Hands-on Learning
Kafka Connect - Learn How to Source Twitter Data, Store in Apache Kafka Topics and Sink …