A step-by-step tutorial that takes you through the creation of an ETL process to populate a Kimball-style star schema
About This Video
Learn how to create ETL transformations to populate a star schema in a short span of time
Create a fully-functional ETL process using a practical approach
Follow the step-by-step instructions for creating an ETL based on a fictional company get your hands dirty and learn fast
Companies store a lot of data, but in most cases, it is not available in a format that makes it easily accessible for analysis and reporting tools. Ralph Kimball realized this a long time ago, so he paved the way for the star schema.
Building a Data Mart with Pentaho Data Integration walks you through the creation of an ETL process to create a data mart based on a fictional company. This course will show you how to source the raw data and prepare it for the star schema step-by-step. The practical approach of this course will get you up and running quickly, and will explain the key concepts in an easy to understand manner.
Building a Data Mart with Pentaho Data Integration teaches you how to source raw data with Pentaho Kettle and transform it so that the output can be a Kimball-style star schema. After sourcing the raw data with our ETL process, you will quality check the data using an agile approach. Next, you will learn how to load slowly changing dimensions and the fact table. The star schema will reside in the column-oriented database, so you will learn about bulk-loading the data whenever possible. You will also learn how to create an OLAP schema and analyze the output of your ETL process easily.
By covering all the essential topics in a hands-down approach, you will be in the position of creating your own ETL processes within a short span of time.
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1 : Getting Started
- Chapter 2 : Agile BI – Creating ETLs to Prepare Joined Data Set
- Chapter 3 : Agile BI – Building OLAP Schema, Analyzing Data, and Implementing Required ETL Improvements
- Chpater 4 : Slowly Changing Dimensions
- Chapter 5 : Populating Data Dimension
- Chapter 6 : Creating the Fact Transformation
- Chapter 7 : Orchestration
- Chapter 8 : ID-based Change Data Capture
- Chapter 9 : Final Touches: Logging and Scheduling
- Title: Building a Data Mart with Pentaho Data Integration
- Release date: December 2013
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781782168638