Automate workflow and internal communication processes and provide customer service without apps using messaging and interactive bots
About This Book
- Create interactive bots on platforms such as Facebook Messenger, Kik, Telegram, and Skype to automate workflows
- Create a bot that works with SQL Server and Skype to deal with HR requests within a company
- Work with some of the most cutting-edge and widely-used APIs and messaging platforms to create interactive customer-facing experiences and automate work
Who This Book Is For
This is a book for Node.js developers who want to build powerful bots for customer-facing and internal workflow automation.
What You Will Learn
- Create a bot template that responds to e-mails based on certain ruling criteria
- Interact with SMS and perform some basic Natural Language Processing using the Twilio API for Node.js
- Work with the Skype Web SDK and Node.js to create a bot that works with SQL Server and Skype
- Build an automated Flight Information Agent bot using the Twitter and Air France KLM APIs
- Create a scheduling bot for teams using the Facebook Messenger API
- Interact with BotKit along with and MongoDB Amazon S3 to create a document management bot in Node.js
- Leverage ICR and Azure Table Storage from Node.js to create a bug tracking bot
- Integrate Force.com API and Kik to create a Salesforce CRM bot
The bots are taking over and we're all for it! Messenger-based bots will be the dominant software UI for the next generation of applications - even Slack, Telegram, and Facebook are driving a new approach where "threads are the new apps."
This book shows you how to create work automation bots that interact with users through Slack, e-mail, Skype, Twitter, and more using Node.js. You'll learn to create conversational UIs for your Node.js apps, and then use those UIs to provide workflow automation tools.
You will be shown how to handle customer service requests that come in through messenger systems - this includes interpreting the natural language to reveal the user's intent and respond accordingly. You will also learn how to automate processes that involve several people, such as processing holiday requests, arranging meetings, or sending updated reports on time.
By the end of this book you'll have the knowledge to create bots that can handle and manipulate documents, URLs, and other items of content. Harness the power of bots and your organization will reap the benefits.
Style and approach
This fast-paced book is packed with real-world use cases that will help you understand concepts, issues, and solutions while using Node.js to build useful, cross-platform business bots.
Table of contents
Building Bots with Node.js
- Building Bots with Node.js
- About the Authors
- About the Reviewer
- Customer Feedback
- 1. The Rise of Bots – Getting the Message Across
- 2. Getting Skype to Work for You
- 3. Twitter as a Flight Information Agent
- 4. A Slack Quote Bot
- 5. Telegram-Powered Bots
6. BotKit – Document Manager Agent for Slack
Setting up a Slack for your team
- Setting up a Slack bot
- Botkit and Slack
- Creating our first Slack bot using Botkit and Node.js
Enhancing our DocMan bot
- What is MongoDB?
- MongoDB database for our DocMan bot
- What is MongoJS?
- Wiring up DocMan bot with MongoDB
- Amazon S3 storage
- Mark documents as public
- Update MongoDB data with Amazon S3 document links
- Wiring it all up together
- Code understanding
- Setting up a Slack for your team
7. Facebook Messenger Bot, Who's Off – A Scheduler Bot for Teams
Setting up our Facebook Messenger bot
- The Facebook Page for our basic bot
- Creating a Facebook app for our basic bot
- Setting up our bot server in Azure
Enhancing our Who's Off bot
- Building a conversational experience with the Who's Off bot
- What is DocumentDB?
- Setting up a DocumentDB for our Who's Off bot
- Wiring up DocumentDB, Moment.js, and Node.js
- Running our bot - the Who's Off bot
- Setting up our Facebook Messenger bot
8. A Bug-Tracking Agent for Teams
- IRC client and server
- Creating our first IRC bot using IRC and Node.js
- Code understanding of our basic bot
- Enhancing our BugTrackerIRCBot
- Running our enhanced BugTrackerIRCBot
9. A Kik Salesforce CRM Bot
- What is Salesforce?
- What is Force.com?
- Kik mobile app
- Kik bots
Our Kik bot
- Creating our first Kik bot
- Understanding the code of our basic Kik bot
- Running our basic Kik bot
- Enhancing our Kik bot
- Running our enhanced Kik Salesforce bot
- sforcebot for campaign management
- Title: Building Bots with Node.js
- Release date: January 2017
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781786465450
You might also like
Python Crash Course, 2nd Edition
This is the second edition of the best selling Python book in the world. Python Crash …
Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA), 3/e
16+ Hours of Video Instruction Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) Complete Video Course 3rd Edition …
Effective Python: 90 Specific Ways to Write Better Python, 2nd Edition
Updated and Expanded for Python 3 It’s easy to start developing programs with Python, which is …
51+ hours of video instruction. Overview The professional programmer’s Deitel® video guide to Python development with …