Section 6. Configuring a Cisco Switch
Starting a Switch
When a Catalyst switch is started for the first time, a default configuration is loaded. Three main operations are performed during normal startup:
- A power-on self test (POST) checks the hardware.
- A startup routine initiates the operating system.
- Software configuration settings are loaded.
Initial startup procedure:
Step 1. Before you start the switch, verify the following:
- All network cable connections are secure.
- A terminal is connected to the console port.
- A terminal application is selected.
Step 2. Attach the switch to the power source to start the switch (there is no on/off switch).
Step 3. Observe the boot sequence.
Switch LED Indicators
Figure 6-1 shows the LEDs on the front panel ...