Chapter 1. General Networking Theory
General Routing Concepts
Link-State and Distance Vector Protocols
Examples: Routing Information Protocol Version 1 (RIPv1), RIPv2, Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (IGRP)
• Features periodic transmission of entire routing tables to directly connected neighbors
• Mathematically compares routes using some measurement of distance
• Features hop-count limitation
Examples: Open Shortest Path First (OSPF), Intermediate System-to-Intermediate System (IS-IS)
• Sends local connection information to all nodes in the internetwork.
• Forms adjacencies with neighboring routers that speak the same protocol; sends local link information to these devices.
• Although this floods of information ...