Chapter 2. EIGRP
Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP) is a Cisco proprietary, advanced distance vector, classless routing protocol that uses a complex metric based on bandwidth and delay. The following are some features of EIGRP:
• Fast convergence.
• Support for VLSM.
• Partial updates conserve network bandwidth.
• Support for IP, AppleTalk, and IPX.
• Runs directly over IP, using protocol number 88.
• Support for all Layer 2 (data link layer) protocols and topologies.
• Sophisticated metric that supports load-balancing across unequal-cost paths.
• Use of multicast (and unicast where appropriate) instead of broadcasts.
• Support for authentication.
• Manual summarization at any interface. ...