Praise for CHANGE WITH CONFIDENCE
"Phil Buckley is a world-class change leader and world-champion enthusiast for effective change management. Straightforward and engaging, Phil addresses the 50 questions all change managers need to answer with confidence in order to succeed. Rare too for an author in this field, he shares the 'how-not-to' as well as the 'how-to.' This is a book any manager wanting to succeed in change should keep close by."
— Professor Chris Bones, Dean Emeritus, Henley Business School; Professor of Leadership, University of Manchester; and award-winning author of The Cult of the Leader
"Phil Buckley's book gives excellent, practical advice on how to implement change in any private or public organization. What makes Change with Confidence so special is that it is organized around questions that anybody who is engaged in or leading change management will find to be key to their success. The real-life examples given for each question make this a very readable book. A must-buy for anybody who wants to avoid the most common mistakes in change management."
— Stefan A. Bomhard, President, Europe, Bacardi Martini Group
"Change with Confidence provides leaders and leaders of change with a wealth of knowledge and experience that they can apply to their own change initiatives, and the real-world examples provide additional clarity on how to successfully manage or avoid common pitfalls."
— David Sculthorpe, CEO, Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada
Change Management is about helping people decide to change successfully
If you have been charged with leading a change initiative, chances are you were chosen for the job—that is, you didn't volunteer, but rather were tapped to lead or manage a large change project. You may have been given a short briefing and left to your own devices to succeed or fail in an uncertain, often threatening, environment. You may find yourself struggling to adapt your skill set to unfamiliar and anxiety-inducing conditions, conscious that your performance will affect your future career paths.
Change with Confidence addresses the 50 biggest questions that change leaders ask time and again, and provides the context, examples, and advice to answer them well, and to enable successful, sustainable change. Whether you're trying to figure it out, are in the planning stage, are actively managing or are working to make it stick, you'll find guidance for a wide range of issues, including:
Analyzing previous change initiatives to see what worked, what didn't, and why
Finding out who can influence your success or failure, help you, or trip you up
Determining what resources you'll need and how to get them
Overcoming change fatigue and opposition to change.
Although every change has its own circumstances, there are proven processes, tactics, and behaviors that lead to lasting success. Change with Confidence offers practical, experience-based advice on a difficult and stressful challenge.
Table of Contents
- Title Page
Part 1: Figuring It Out
- Chapter 1: What Do I Bring to the Project?
- Chapter 2: How Do I Identify What Needs to Change?
- Chapter 3: What Have We Done Before, and Did It Work?
- Chapter 4: What Other Change Projects Are Going On?
- Chapter 7: What Do I Need to Know Before I Commit to Deliverables?
- Chapter 8: How Do I Measure Success?
- Chapter 9: Will the Change Actually Achieve the Desired Outcome?
- Chapter 10: How Do I Avoid Scope Creep?
- The Plan
Part 2: Planning For Change
- Chapter 11: What Does a Good Plan Look Like?
- Chapter 12: How Do I Get the Budget to Do It Right?
- Chapter 13: What Governance Is Required to Run the Project?
- Chapter 14: How Do I Prepare People to Work in New Ways?
- Chapter 15: How Do I Reduce Risk?
- Chapter 16: How Do I Know What Resources I Need?
- Chapter 17: What Makes a Good Project Manager?
- Chapter 18: How Do I Get the Best People to Join the Project Team?
- Chapter 19: How Do I Know If a Consultant Can Help Me?
- Chapter 20: How Do I Set Up the Project Team for Success?
- Chapter 21: How Do I Get Leaders to Personally Commit to the Project?
- Chapter 22: How Can I Help Leaders Prepare for Their Roles?
- Chapter 23: How Do I Describe the Better Future My Project Will Bring?
- Chapter 24: How Do I Get People to Care about My Project?
- Chapter 25: How Do I Make My Project the Highest Priority?
- Chapter 26: How Do I Communicate to the Organization?
- The Plan
Part 3: Managing Change
- The Plan
- Chapter 29: How Should We Celebrate Wins?
- Chapter 30: How Do I Get More Resources If I Need Them?
- Chapter 31: How Do I Avoid Losing Team Members?
- Chapter 32: What Do I Do If Someone Is Pulled from My Team?
- Chapter 33: How Do I Keep the Project Team Energized?
- Chapter 34: How Do I Manage My Stakeholders?
- Chapter 35: How Can I Minimize Change Fatigue?
- Chapter 36: How Do I Overcome Resistance?
- Chapter 37: How Do I Know Communications Are Working?
- Chapter 38: How Do I Get a Leader Back On Side?
- Chapter 39: How Do I Get a New Business Leader's Support?
- Chapter 40: What Do I Do When I Don't Know What to Do?
- Chapter 41: How Do I Communicate a Delay in the Project?
- Chapter 42: How Do I Demonstrate Progress?
Part 4: Making Change Stick
- Chapter 43: How Do I Prevent the Return of Old Ways of Working?
- Chapter 44: How Do I Hand Over Responsibilities to the Business?
- Chapter 45: How Do I Record Lessons Learned?
- Chapter 46: How Do I Reenter the Business?
- Getting Results
- The Plan
- Title: Change with Confidence: Answers to the 50 Biggest Questions that Keep Change Leaders Up at Night
- Release date: April 2013
- Publisher(s): Jossey-Bass
- ISBN: 9781118556573