This chapter describes the various design routes that can be used to implement a circuit design. The decision regarding which of these design routes to use depends upon the following issues:
• When should the first prototype be ready?
• How many units are needed?
• What are the power requirements?
• What is the budget for the product?
• What are the physical size limitations?
• How complex is the design (gate count, if known)?
• What is the maximum frequency for the design?
• What loads will the system be driving?
• What other components are needed to complete your design?
• What experience have you or your group had to date in the design of digital systems?