This chapter presents the following:
• Evolution of computing and how it relates to security
• Different areas that fall under the security umbrella
• Politics that affect security
• Introduction of information warfare
• Examples of security exploits
• A layered approach to security
Security is a fascinating topic because it covers so many different areas (physical, network, platform, application, and so on), each with its own risks, threats, and solutions. When information security is discussed, the theme is usually hackers and software vulnerabilities. Although these are big security concerns, they are only two components within the larger field of security issues. Hacking is foremost in people’s minds with regard to ...