This chapter presents the following:
• History of cryptography
• Cryptography components and their relationships
• Government involvement in cryptography
• Symmetric and asymmetric key algorithms
• Public key infrastructure (PKI) concepts and mechanisms
• Hashing algorithms and uses
• Types of attacks on cryptosystems
Cryptography is a method of storing and transmitting data in a form that only those it is intended for can read and process. It is considered a science of protecting information by encoding it into an unreadable format. Cryptography is an effective way of protecting sensitive information as it is stored on media or transmitted through untrusted network communication paths.
One of the goals of cryptography, ...