Exam objectives in this chapter
• Cornerstone Cryptographic Concepts
• History of Cryptography
• Symmetric Encryption
• Asymmetric Encryption
• Hash Functions
• Cryptographic Attacks
• Implementing Cryptography
Unique Terms and Definitions
• Plaintext—An unencrypted message.
• Ciphertext—An encrypted message.
• Cryptology—The science of secure communications.
• Symmetric Encryption—Encryption that uses one key to encrypt and decrypt.
• Asymmetric Encryption—Encryption that uses two keys; if you encrypt with one, you may decrypt with the other.
• Hash Function—One-way encryption using an algorithm and no key.
Cryptography is secret writing: secure communication that may be understood by the intended recipient ...