In many ways, environmentally responsible design is still in its infancy, yet it is already a complex, multilayered subject that can be daunting for engineers. It can be next to impossible to identify and measure the full range of environmental impacts of a single product or service, let alone determine priorities for improving environmental performance. The issues you have to deal with include
• Determining the carbon footprint of a product or service
• Understanding the impact of different sources of electricity
• Knowing which chemicals and materials are desirable—and which should be avoided
• Maximizing the recyclability and minimizing the waste of a product
• Determining the fresh-water footprint of ...