Book DescriptionTo claim one's place at the fire means to live ones life on purpose. When we claim our place at the fire, we enter into the circle of vital elders who have been the source of wisdom in society since time immemorial. We do this by courageously reexamining and rediscovering who we are, where we belong, what we care about, and what our life's purpose is.
—from the introduction
If you're in, or about to enter, "the second half of life, " this practical guide will show you how to claim your rightful place among the "new elders"—men and women who “use the second half of life as an empty canvas, a blank page, a hunk of clay to be crafted on purpose.” Through inspiring stories and thought-provoking exercises, you'll learn to ask, and answer, four key questions:
Who am I? How do I stoke the wisdom gained in the first half of my life to burn more brightly in the second half?
Where do I belong? What makes a place the right place for me in the second half?
What do I care about? Where do I want to use my gifts and talents in the second half?
What is my purpose? How do I leave a legacy that has real meaning for myself and my loved ones?
This book provides a new model for vital aging. It shows you how to age successfully by living on purpose.
Table of Contents
- Cover Page
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Invitation to the Fire
- Prologue: At the Fireside: The New Elder
- Introduction: The Four Flames of Vital Aging
- Chapter1: The Flame of Identity: Recalling Our Stories
- Chapter 2: The Flame of Community: Refinding Our Place
- Chapter 3: The Flame of Passion: Renewing Our Calling
- Chapter 4: The Flame of Meaning: Reclaiming Our Purpose
- Epilogue: Keeping the Fire Alive
- About the Authors
- Title: Claiming Your Place at the Fire
- Release date: September 2004
- Publisher(s): Berrett-Koehler Publishers
- ISBN: 9781576758779