HOW TO SEPARATE THE NEWS FROM THE NOISE: WHAT EVERY INVESTOR NEEDS TO KNOW
There is no shortage of financial advice these days. From cocky cable pundits to nattering news columnists to off-grid online bloggers, there are more so-called experts than ever before--and the noise can be downright deafening.
This no-bull, bottom-line guide from "The Reformed Broker" Josh Brown and Yahoo Finance's Jeff Macke will help you cut through the cacophony and make the most of today's media news. It's an eye-opening crash course in separating financial facts from fiction—featuring interviews with some of the world’s most influential investors, including:
JIM CRAMER (Mad Money) takes you behind the scenes of his polarizing TV program--and talks about his clash with Jon Stewart on The Daily Show.
HENRY BLODGET (Business Insider) shares anecdotes about tangling with Eliot Spitzer, covering the Martha Stewart trial, and launching his Business Insider site as a "marked man."
BEN STEIN (Win Ben Stein's Money) reveals how he really feels about Bernanke, Bogle, Buffett, and bailouts.
KAREN FINERMAN (CNBC's Fast Money) exposes the hype behind the headlines—and the "show biz" demands on television news pundits.
HERB GREENBERG (TheStreet.com) explains why investors need to follow social media, where the "real" news is disseminated.
BARRY RITHOLTZ (Bailout Nation) reveals his secret for "watching" financial TV.
You'll also find invaluable insights from the original father of financial TV, Jim Rogers, and from James Altucher, the most shockingly honest commentator in the history of the medium. And you'll get a front-row seat for the processing and packaging of the news and learn everything you need to know about the talking heads who shape each day's narrative.
Up-close. In-depth. All-true. Clash of the Financial Pundits is the one guide that will change the way you look at markets and investing forever.
PRAISE FOR JOSH BROWN'S BACKSTAGE WALL STREET
"Much like Michael Lewis's Liar's Poker captured the essence of 1980s institutional Wall Street, Brown's Backstage Wall Street re-creates the boiler room retail brokerage culture of the 1990s and early 2000s in vivid color." -- FORBES
"Joshua Brown may be the funniest writer on finance today, but Backstage Wall Street could make you cry more than laugh. The buffoons, manipulators, and incompetents Brown parades before us are the stewards of our retirement accounts." -- BARRON'S
"Run don't walk to read Brown's chronicles of deception [perpetrated by] those wonderful folks on Wall Street, who nearly bankrupted the world's financial system a few short years ago." -- DOUGLAS A. KASS, Seabreeze Partners Management, Inc.
Table of contents
- Title page
- Copyright Page
- Foreword by Dylan Ratigan
- Introduction: Crash of 1929
- 1 The Myth of the Media Diet
- 2 The Birth of Financial TV: A Conversation with Jim Rogers
- 3 The First Media-Blown Bubble
- 4 Being Right and Wrong: A Conversation with Ben Stein
- 5 The Single Most Important Trait
- 6 Tough Gig: A Conversation with Karen Finerman
- 7 The Man Who Moved Markets
- 8 Redemption Song: A Conversation with Henry Blodget
- 9 Dow 100,000!
- 10 Welcome to the Madhouse
- 11 Tales from the News Cycle: A Conversation with Herb Greenberg
- 12 The Wanderer: A Conversation with James Altucher
- 13 The Confidence Trick
- 14 The Bull Market for Opinions: A Conversation with Barry Ritholtz
- 15 All Your Investment Rules Contradict Each Other
- 16 Martin Zweig and the Biggest Market Call of All Time
- 17 They Don't Get Cramer!
- 18 The King of Commentary: A Conversation with Jim Cramer
- 19 Make a Prediction Without Making a Prediction
- 20 “Car People”: The Live Blog
- Conclusion: Clash of the Pundits!
- Title: Clash of the Financial Pundits: How the Media Influences Your Investment Decisions for Better or Worse
- Release date: May 2014
- Publisher(s): McGraw-Hill
- ISBN: 9780071817905
You might also like
A Must-Read for Any Investor Looking to Maximize Their Chances of Success Big Mistakes: The Best …
Trading Systems and Methods, + Website, 5th Edition
The ultimate guide to trading systems, fully revised and updated For nearly thirty years, professional and …
Fundamental Analysis and Position Trading: Evolution of a Trader
Comprehensive coverage of the four major trading styles Evolution of a Trader explores the four trading …
Profitable Day and Swing Trading: Using Price / Volume Surges and Pattern Recognition to Catch Big Moves in the Stock Market, + Website
Harry Boxer's proven techniques for short-term traders Written in easy-to-understand language, Profitable Day and Swing Trading …