Clojure in Action is a hands-on tutorial for the working programmer who has written code in a language like Java or Ruby, but has no prior experience with Lisp. It teaches Clojure from the basics to advanced topics using practical, real-world application examples. Blow through the theory and dive into practical matters like unit-testing and environment set-up, all the way through building a scalable web-application using domain-specific languages, Hadoop, HBase, and RabbitMQ.
About the Technology
Clojure is a modern Lisp for the JVM, and it has the strengths you'd expect: first-class functions, macros, support for functional programming, and a Lisp-like, clean programming style.
About the Book
Clojure in Action is a practical guide focused on applying Clojure to practical programming challenges. You'll start with a language tutorial written for readers who already know OOP. Then, you'll dive into the use cases where Clojure really shines: state management, safe concurrency and multicore programming, first-class code generation, and Java interop. In each chapter, you'll first explore the unique characteristics of a problem area and then discover how to tackle them using Clojure. Along the way, you'll explore practical matters like architecture, unit testing, and set-up as you build a scalable web application that includes custom DSLs, Hadoop, HBase, and RabbitMQ.
- A fast-paced Clojure tutorial
- Creating web services with Clojure
- Scaling through messaging
- Creating DSLs with Clojure's macro system
- Test-driven development with Clojure li>Distributed programming with Clojure, and more
About the Reader
This book assumes you're familiar with an OO language like Java, C#, or C++ but requires no background in Lisp or Clojure itself.
About the Author
Amit Rathore is a VP of Engineering with a decade of experience building highly performant, data-heavy web applications.
An easy to read book and a great way to get up-to-speed on Clojure.
- Craig Smith, Suncorp
Down-to-earth and thorough.
- Stuart Caborn, BNP Paribas
Explains functional programming with Java.
- Doug Warren, Java Web Services
An intriguing mix of emerging tech.
- Andrew Oswald, Chariot Solutions
Teaches you how to put Clojure into action at warp speed!
- Baishampayan Ghose, Qotd, Inc.
Table of contents
- Brief Table of Contents
- Table of Contents
- About this Book
- Part 1. Getting started
- Chapter 1. Introduction to Clojure
- Chapter 2. A whirlwind tour
- Chapter 3. Building blocks of Clojure
- Chapter 4. Polymorphism with multimethods
- Chapter 5. Clojure and Java interop
- Chapter 6. State and the concurrent world
- Chapter 7. Evolving Clojure through macros
- Part 2. Getting real
- Chapter 8. Test-driven development and more
- Chapter 9. Data storage with Clojure
- Chapter 10. Clojure and the web
- Chapter 11. Scaling through messaging
- Chapter 12. Data processing with Clojure
- Chapter 13. More on functional programming
- Chapter 14. Protocols, records, and types
- Chapter 15. More macros and DSLs
- List of Figures
- List of Tables
- List of Listings
- Title: Clojure in Action
- Release date: November 2011
- Publisher(s): Manning Publications
- ISBN: 9781935182597
You might also like
Clojure is a practical, general-purpose language that offers expressivity rivaling other dynamic languages like Ruby and …
Think in the Clojure way! Once you're familiar with Clojure, take the next step with extended …
Clojure: High Performance JVM Programming
Explore the world of lightning fast Clojure apps with asynchronous channels, logic, reactive programming, and more …
Clojure in Action, Second Edition
A fully revised edition that covers the new features available in Clojure 1.6. About the Technology …