114 Cloud Computing
(compressed/uncompressed): 82.3 MBytes / 394 MBytes
Of course, FreeDOS is the exception to the rule above, since it does not
require a root or user password. Click the link to download the image and
save it to a location you will remember—later in this practicum, you will
need to unzip this ﬁle and extract the images. We recommend that you
choose to save the ﬁles on a drive with plenty of space available.
4.6 Downloading the 7-Zip Archive Tool
Next, you will need to download an open source product called 7-zip (it
works on both Linux and Windows platforms), which can be accessed from
Once the download is complete, perform the following steps
1. Pick a drive with plenty of spare room on it and create a folder
2. Download the
to the VirtualGuests folder and install it
using the standard options.
3. Once you have installed 7-zip, ﬁnd the FreeDOS ﬁle you down-
4. Highlight the ﬁle and right-click on it—choose the
option to extract ﬁles.
5. Extract the ﬁles to your VirtualGuests folder.
6. Your VirtualGuests folder will now contain two folders,
The virtualBox image for FreeDOS will be
in the VDI folder.
Chap4.fm Page 114 Friday, May 22, 2009 11:25 AM