Data Storage in the Cloud
CHAPTER 4, “INFRASTRUCTURE AS a Service (IaaS),” examined the process of using a service provider’s servers and data storage equipment. Within the IaaS model, the customer is responsible for installing and maintaining the software that runs on the platform. Chapter 4 introduced the use of cloud-based data storage and databases.
This chapter will examine cloud-based storage in detail. By the time you finish this chapter, you will be able to do the following:
• Discuss the role of storage-area networks.
• Discuss the role of network-attached storage.
• Describe cloud-based storage solutions.
• List the pros and cons of cloud-based storage.
• Describe cloud-based database solutions. ...