In this video course, software architecture veteran Matt Stine explains the cloud native architecture pattern called externalized configuration. He defines the problems traditional configuration management techniques create when configuration varies independently from code throughout an application's lifecycle. He then describes the externalized configuration variants that are leveraged within cloud native application architectures. Finally, he explores the best practices for implementing this pattern; reviews the pros and cons; and shows how externalized configuration relates to the other Brick and Mortar patterns.
- Understand the cloud architecture pattern called externalized configuration
- Learn the distinctions between traditional configuration and externalized configuration
- Explore the externalized configuration variants used in cloud native application architectures
- See how the externalized configuration pattern relates to other Brick and Mortar patterns
- Learn the best practices for implementing this pattern alongside real-world examples
Matt Stine, a 17-year veteran of the enterprise software industry, is the host of "Software Architecture Radio," a podcast where hands-on practitioners discuss modern software patterns and practices. An in-demand conference speaker (SACON, JavaOne, OSCON, YOW!), Matt wrote the O'Reilly title Migrating to Cloud-Native Application Architectures; works as a technical product manager for Cloud Foundry and Spring at Pivotal; and serves as technical editor of NFJS the Magazine.
Table of Contents
- Introduction to Externalized Configuration 00:04:09
- Externalized Configuration: Context and Problem 00:04:38
- Externalized Configuration: Solution Structure 00:04:42
- Externalized Configuration: Solution Dynamics 00:03:34
- Externalized Configuration: Implementation 00:04:53
- Externalized Configuration: Examples 00:08:05
- Externalized Configuration: Consequences 00:03:54
- Externalized Configuration: Related Patterns 00:01:56
- Title: Cloud Native Architecture Pattern—Externalized Configuration
- Release date: April 2017
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491988169