Completely revised edition, now covering Snow Leopard!
Springing from the original Vermont Recipes Web site, where many of today’s Cocoa developers got their start, Cocoa Recipes for Mac OS X, Second Edition is a programming cookbook that shows you how to create a complete Mac OS X application. In this updated edition, author Bill Cheeseman employs a practical, step-by-step method for building a program from start to finish using the Cocoa frameworks. He begins by creating the project using Xcode and designing and building the user interface with Interface Builder, and then he fills in the details expected of any working application, such as managing documents and windows, setting up the main menu, and configuring controls. Later recipes show you how to add important features such as a preferences window, printing, a Help book, and AppleScript support. The book concludes with a discussion of deployment of your finished product and steps you can take to explore additional features. Equipped with the expertise and real-world techniques in this book, programmers with some knowledge of C and Objective-C can quickly master the craft of writing Cocoa programs for Mac OS X.
Written for C and Objective-C programmers who want to tap the extraordinary power and flexibility designed into the Cocoa frameworks, as well as for experienced Cocoa developers looking to extend their skills.
By following the book’s recipes for creating a complete Cocoa application, readers can retrace the same steps to write any document-based Cocoa program.
Includes the latest techniques for writing Cocoa applications for Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard.
Project source files are available on the Web athttp://www.peachpit.com/cocoarecipes.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Table of Contents
- Section 1. Objective-C and the Cocoa Frameworks
Section 2. Building an Application
- Recipe 1. Create the Project Using Xcode
- Recipe 2. Design and Build the GUI Using Interface Builder
- Recipe 3. Create a Simple Text Document
- Recipe 4. Add Controls to the Document Window
- Recipe 5. Configure the Main Menu
- Recipe 6. Control the Document’s Behavior
- Recipe 7. Refine the Document’s Usability
- Recipe 8. Polish the Application
- Recipe 9. Add Printing Support
- Recipe 10. Add a Preferences Window
- Recipe 11. Add Apple Help
- Recipe 12. Add AppleScript Support
- Recipe 13. Deploy the Application
- Section 3. Looking Ahead
- Title: Cocoa Recipes for Mac OS X: The Vermont Recipes, Second Edition
- Release date: March 2010
- Publisher(s): Peachpit Press
- ISBN: 9780321670748
You might also like
Microsoft Visual C# Step by Step, Ninth Edition
Your hands-on guide to Microsoft Visual C# fundamentals with Visual Studio 2017 Expand your expertise--and teach …
Mastering macOS Programming
Take your macOS Sierra to the next level using the latest tools, designs, and best coding …
Cocoa Programming is a comprehensive work that starts as a fast-paced introduction to the OS architecture …
Cocoa and Objective-C Cookbook
Move beyond basic Cocoa development using over 70 simple and effective recipes for Mac OS X …