1Communication: The Key to a Manager’s Success
When you complete this chapter, you should be able to:
• Define communication accurately in one brief statement.
• State the reasons managers communicate and identify the four major types of communication.
• Describe what can happen when communication doesn’t work.
• State obstacles to clear communication.
• List the key actions that are essential for clear written or spoken communication.
• Evaluate your communication skills at work.
As a manager, much of your job involves communication, so the ability to communicate clearly is crucial to your ability to succeed. You ...