In this chapter, you will learn how to
• Identify and implement pre-installation tasks
• Install and upgrade Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Vista
• Troubleshoot installation problems
• Identify and implement post-installation tasks
• Explain the structures created during the installation process
An operating system (OS) provides the fundamental link between the user and the hardware that makes up the PC. Without an operating system, all of the greatest, slickest PC hardware in the world is but so much copper, silicon, and gold wrapped up as a big, beige paperweight (or, if you’re a teenaged boy, a big, gleaming, black paperweight with a window and glowing fluorescent lights, possibly shaped like ...