In this chapter, you will learn how to
• Explain features common to all computing devices
• Describe different types of general-purpose computers
• Explain how computer networks work
• Describe methods of remotely accessing computer systems
• Identify specialized computer systems and their purposes
The marvels that make up life in the 21st century, such as the International Space Station, driverless cars, stunning special effects in movies, and nearly instant access to the collective knowledge of the human race (through the Internet), rely on sophisticated machines called computers. A computer, or computing device, does math breathtakingly fast.
Over the years, some smart people have figured out how to ...