After completion of this chapter, you will be able to answer the following questions:
• What is the purpose of a network?
• What are some examples of network components?
• How are networks defined by geography?
• How are networks defined by topology?
• How are networks defined by resource location?
What comes to mind when you think of a computer network? Is it the Internet? Is it e-mail? Is it the wireless connection that lets you print to your printer from your laptop?
Whatever your current perception of a computer network, this chapter and book, as a whole, helps you gain deep appreciation and understanding of networked computing. Be aware that although we commonly think of computer networks as interconnecting ...