After completion of this chapter, you will be able to answer the following questions:
• How are decimal numbers represented in binary format?
• What is the format of an IP version 4 (IPv4) address, and what are the distinctions between unicast, broadcast, and multicast addresses?
• Which options are available for assigning IP addresses to networked devices?
• Given a subnet design requirement (for example, a number of required subnets and a number of required hosts per subnet), how do you determine the appropriate subnet mask for a network?
• What are the primary characteristics of IPv6?
When two devices on a network want to communicate, they need logical addresses (that is, Layer 3 addresses as described ...