After reading this chapter and completing the exercises, you will be able to:
• Use terminology specific to converged networks
• Explain VoIP (Voice over IP) services, PBXs, and their user interfaces
• Explain video-over-IP applications and their user interfaces
• Describe VoIP and video-over-IP signaling and transport protocols, including SIP, H.323, and RTP
• Understand QoS (quality of service) assurance methods critical to converged networks, including RSVP and DiffServ
On the Job
The critical element in a stroke is time. Doctors have three hours from the onset of a stroke to deliver a lifesaving drug called tPA. Neurologists can cut this time by seeing patients through videoconferencing.
I provide support ...