After reading this chapter and completing the exercises, you will be able to:
• Explain basic concepts related to network management
• Discuss the importance of documentation, baseline measurements, policies, and regulations in assessing and maintaining a network’s health
• Manage a network’s performance using SNMP-based network management software, system and event logs, and traffic-shaping techniques
• Identify the reasons for and elements of an asset management system
• Plan and follow regular hardware and software maintenance routines
On the Job
I used to work for a service provider whose shared network supplied switching, content distribution, and firewall protection for many medium-sized customer Web servers ...