- Discover: When the client boots up, it sends a broadcast to find a DHCP server and can be identified by inserting its Media Access Control (MAC) address into the broadcast packet.
- Offer: If the client is lucky enough to find a DHCP server, it then receives an offer packet by the DHCP server. If there were two DHCP servers, it would receive two offers.
- Request: The client replies back to the DHCP server that it wants to obtain the address from.
- Acknowledgement: The final packet from the DHCP server is the acknowledgement that included the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS address.
- Command line: To release and renew an IP address using the command line, we would run the ipconfig /release command ...
Get CompTIA Security+ Certification Guide now with O’Reilly online learning.
O’Reilly members experience live online training, plus books, videos, and digital content from 200+ publishers.