Technical controls are those implemented by the IT team to reduce risk to the business. These could include the following:
- Firewall rules: Firewalls prevent unauthorized access to the network by IP address, application, or protocol. These are covered in-depth later in this book.
- Antivirus/antimalware: This is the most common threat to the business and we must ensure that all servers and desktops are protected and up to date.
- Screen savers: These log computers off when they are idle, preventing access.
- Screen filters: These prevent people walking past from reading the data on your screen.
- Intrusion Prevention Systems (IPS)/Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS): The intrusion detection system monitors the network for any changes ...