Business impact analysis (BIA) looks at the financial loss relating to an incident and does not look at how the threat or how an event occurred. It measures the additional cost due to various factors.
Financial loss factors include the following:
- Loss and delay of sales
- Regulatory fines and contract penalties
- Purchase of new equipment to return to an operational state
- Additional labor required until returning to an operational state
- Do we need to seek a new property to operate in?
Impact factors include the following:
- Loss of company brand or reputation
- Was there loss of life?
- Were safety procedures in place?