Discretionary access control involves New Technology File System (NTFS) file permissions, which are used in Microsoft operating systems. The user is only given the access that he/she needs to perform their job.
The permissions are as follows:
- Full control: Full access
- Modify: Change data, read, and read and execute
- Read and execute: Read the file and run a program if one is inside it
- List folder contents: Expand a folder to see the subfolders inside it
- Read: Read the contents
- Write: Allows you to write to the file
- Special permissions: Allows granular access; for example, it breaks each of the previous permissions into a more granular level
- Data creator/owner: The person that creates the unclassified data is called ...