10 USING ABSTRACTIONS AND PATTERNS
• Learn simple principles for finding patterns in programs.
• Discuss how abstraction applies in the context of programming.
• Show built-in types available for use in your solution.
• Introduce classes as a means of creating your own types and abstractions.
• Examine an array of ready-made patterns.
FINDING PATTERNS IN PROGRAMS
Finding patterns during problem decomposition was first mentioned in Chapter 3, in ‘Patterns and generalisation’.
It’s very important to look for patterns in a problem. During problem decomposition, when the problem is being broken down into a series of sub-problems, ...