Embrace the Gritty Reality of Training
Ever watched half your class stomp out on you? Fallen asleep facilitating a creativity workshop? Planned a bulletproof lesson plan, then dropped it 10 minutes after you started? Don’t worry—it’s fine to confess.
If you have faced a surprise in the training room, chances are Jonathan Halls has seen it, too. As a result, he doesn’t pretend to be a shiny happy trainer anymore; his 25-plus years of training and facilitating in 25 countries have taught him not to stress over a less-than-flawless class—and helped him focus less on himself and more on letting his learners shine.
In Confessions of a Corporate Trainer: An Insider Tells All, Jonathan tells relatable and charming stories of what corporate training is really about, drawing from his highly rated train-the-trainer workshops and hundreds of honest conversations with like-minded trainers.
He recounts the curveball he was thrown midway through a change management workshop in Zagreb, Croatia—and how it showed him the futility of overplanning. He shares the time a fire alarm disrupted a training program he led in Washington, D.C., and how he embraced the interruption. And he reflects on what conspires to knock trainers off their game (psst: demanding clients, heavy workloads, and frequent travel are only a few of the culprits).
Discover the gritty reality of training. Confessions of a Corporate Trainer will entertain you, challenge you, and remind you why you as a trainer are so important in today’s workplace.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- 1. The Myth of the Shiny Happy Trainer
- 2. Learning Takes Practice
- 3. I Don’t Try to Be a Good Presenter Anymore
- 4. It’s Easy to Forget Why They Hired Us
- 5. Planning Isn’t What It’s Cracked Up to Be
- 6. Plan to Dump Your Plan, but Never Leave Home Without It
- 7. It’s Not Just What You Do
- 8. Training Doesn’t Suck, but They Don’t Know That
- 9. Grab the Oxygen Mask: Sustaining Your Mojo
- 10. Travel: Taming the Unfriendly Skies and Inhospitable Hotels
- 11. Remaining Clear-Headed When the Next Trend Strikes
- 12. A Trainer’s Crystal Ball
- About the Author
- Title: Confessions of a Corporate Trainer: An Insider Tells All
- Release date: April 2019
- Publisher(s): Association for Talent Development
- ISBN: 9781947308923
You might also like
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …
97 Things Every Engineering Manager Should Know
Tap into the wisdom of experts to learn what every engineering manager should know. With 97 …
The Art of Leadership (Audio Book)
Many people think leadership is a higher calling that resides exclusively with managers who practice or …
User Story Mapping
User story mapping is a valuable tool for software development, once you understand why and how …