Learning to feel confident
“Feelings come and go like clouds in a windy sky. Conscious breathing is my anchor.”
Thich Nhat Hanh, author, poet, peace activist
In this chapter you will …
- discover how ancient Eastern practices are being integrated to great effect in Western psychotherapies
- learn to use your breathing to cope with unpleasant thoughts and feelings
- come to appreciate that unpleasant feelings are a natural part of being human
- discover ways to separate negative feelings from your core self
- appreciate that you can feel anxious and still get on with life.
Increasingly, psychologists are turning to what have become known as ‘third-wave’ therapies for treating conditions such as anxiety, depression and anger. These therapies include ...