In this chapter we will examine some of the roles that an ODS can play within the data integration scenarios. Specifically we will discuss these roles:
• As a supplier to a data warehouse architecture
• As a supplier to data marts
• As a member in a distributed architecture
• As a source for operational reporting
• As a an integrator of data for data mining
• As a member in a CMDB architecture (ITIL Configuration Management Database)
• As an enabler of data quality.
Regardless of the role, the common theme is pulling data from multiple operational sources, profiling and cleansing ...