1. Rabindranath Tagore, ‘Nationalism in India’, in Nationalism (New Delhi: Rupa and Company, 2002), p. 121.
2. Sudipta Kaviraj, ‘Crisis of Nation-State in India’, in John Dunn (ed.) Contemporary Crisis of the Nation-State? (Oxford and Cambridge, UK: Blackwell, 1995), pp. 118–19; Sekhar Bandopadhyay, From Plassey to Partition: A History of Modern India (New Delhi: Orient Longman, 2004), p. 184.
3. Benedict Anderson, Imagined Communities (London: Verso, 1983).
4. See, for instance, Sudipta Kaviraj, ‘The Imaginary Institution of India’, in Partha Chatterjee and Gyanendra Pandey (eds.), Subaltern Studies, Vol. VII (New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 1992), pp. 1–39.
5. Amartya Sen, Identity and Violence: The Illusion of Destiny (London: ...