Know Your Techniques
Common Cutting Methods
Illustration by Elizabeth Kurtzman
In this part …
- Figure out which knives you really need in your kitchen, and master skills like mincing, chopping, and slicing.
- Submerse yourself in information about boiling, poaching, and steaming — in other words, how to cook in liquids.
- Grab a frying pan and figure out the secrets to sautéing. It’s simpler than you think.
- Take it easy when making your evening meal by using the slow-cooking approaches of braising or stewing.
- Draw your family to the dinner table with the delectable aromas of roasting meat.
- Head to the back yard and grill your entire meal — meat, veggies, and even dessert — over an open flame.
- Satisfy your sweet tooth with delicious desserts you’ll want to make again and again.